Nothing beats a homemade dessert. Wouldn’t you agree? Last week I got home late one evening after wrapping up an evening course with a final exam. While I really wanted to hit the hay, I still had to prepare a dessert for my work Easter potluck lunch the following day. Of course I couldn’t just buy a dessert and make my life easier. That would be cheating. I must make something homemade.
Earlier I found this idea on Pinterest and bought the ingredients for cream cheese carrot cake trifle. Think carrot cake but in trifle form. I’ve made trifles before but never this one. I have a tendency to try new recipes when bringing food away, which is risky I know. I got lucky this time and this dessert turned out amazing. If you like carrot cake, give this a try.
Note: The recipe calls for a boxed carrot cake mix. You can certainly use a homemade carrot cake and it’ll taste even better!
- 1 box carrot cake mix, prepared according to package directions into a 9 x 13 cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- App 1 cup chopped walnuts (I used less – your call)
- Prepare the carrot cake and bake according to the package directions for a 9 x 13 cake. Allow the cake to cool, then cut it into cubes.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will take about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 a cup at at time, until it is thoroughly mixed. Add the vanilla and beat the frosting on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Gently fold in the Cool Whip until it is completely mixed in.
- In a trifle dish or glass dish, place down a layer of cake, then a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle walnuts on top of the cream cheese. Repeat the layers until your trifle dish is full or you run of cake or cream cheese, ending with the walnuts on top. Refrigerate until serving.
Leave a Reply