This past weekend I made homemade Oreos for the first time. I’ve enjoyed these before made by others, and found they’re really simple to recreate. I love the chocolate and mint combination, so I opted for a mint Oreo.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 6 to 10 drops green food colouring – depending what shade of green you prefer
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- may need 1 to 2 tsp water or milk for thinning the frosting to desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the butter one tbsp at a time until the mixture crumbles, then add the egg. Continue mixing until the dough comes together.
- Form dough into tablespoon-sized balls and place them on parchment lined baking sheets. Slightly flatten dough balls.
- Bake for nine minutes. Move baked cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the buttercream, whip butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the peppermint extract. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. Add food colouring. If the frosting becomes too stiff to pipe, add water or milk one tsp at a time until desired consistency.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the bottom of one cookie. Top with the bottom of another cookie to create an Oreo sandwich. Repeat with all cookies. This recipe yielded 14 cookies for me.